ANNOUNCEMENTS & ACTION ITEMS
- #CLDE16: 2016 Civic Learning & Democratic Engagement Meeting
Thursday, June 1, 2016 to Saturday, June 4, 2016
Indianapolis Marriott Downtown · Indianapolis, Indiana
ADP along with our community college colleagues in The Democracy Commitment and student affairs colleagues at NASPA are partnering for the second year in a row on a conference to advance the civic learning and engagement work of higher education. This year’s meeting includes pre-conference institutes focused on assessment, political engagement, dialogue and deliberation, economic inequality, and students. This conference is ideal for faculty and administrators that are leading civic engagement efforts on campus and for those wishing to advance their professional development in this area.
- For more information about CLDE 2016: http://www.aascu.org/meetings/clde16/
- Proposals are due February 8, 2016 at 11:59 p.m. ET online here.
- Register online here. Early-bird deadline is April 25th. Check out the Pre-Conference Institutes on Assessment, Political Engagement, Dialogue & Deliberation, Economic Inequality and one especially for students!
- You can book your hotel room by May 10th at the Indianapolis Marriott Downtown here.
- Volunteer to be a program reviewer by February 12th here.
- Become a Mentor / Mentee at the #CLDE16 Meeting: submit your interest here.
- Nominations for Three ADP National Awards Due April 1, 2015
- The William M. Plater Award for Leadership in Civic Engagement is given each year to an AASCU chief academic officer in recognition of his or her leadership in advancing the civic mission of the campus. Chief academic officers may be nominated by anyone on the campus. The president or chancellor must endorse the nomination. Nominations materials for the 2016 Plater Award must be submitted electronically by April 1, 2016.
- The John Saltmarsh Award for Emerging Leaders in Civic Engagement is presented annually to an emerging leader in the civic engagement field from an AASCU institution. Emerging Leaders may be nominated by anyone. Nomination materials for the 2016 Saltmarsh Award must be submitted electronically by April 1, 2016.
- The Barbara Burch Award for Faculty Leadership in Civic Engagement is presented annually to a senior faculty member in the civic engagement field from an AASCU institution. Senior ADP Faculty members may be nominated by anyone. The provost or chief academic officer must endorse the nomination. Nomination materials for the 2016 Burch Award must be submitted electronically by April 1, 2016.
- Stewardship of Public Lands: Politics and the Yellowstone Ecosystem Faculty Seminar
August 1 – August 6, 2016 | Yellowstone National Park
This is the ADP Stewardship of Public Lands initiative’s 11th annual faculty seminar in Yellowstone. Participants will participate in a study of political conflict in the world’s first national park; examine the political controversies over wolves, grizzlies, snowmobiles, and bison; meet and listen to stakeholders on all sides; and learn how to design courses to help prepare students to understand and engage in conflict management and resolution over national and local public resources controversies.
ADP CAMPUS SPOTLIGHTS
- Bloomsburg University (Penn.): Pennsylvania has made it easier for residents to register to vote and students can register online with TurboVote. Learn more here.
- Northeastern Illinois University: held its Second Economic Inequality Initiative event to encourage students to confront, through critical discussion, the roots of economic inequality — and to challenge students to adopt an active role in addressing their solutions.
- University of Central Oklahoma: The UCO American Democracy Project organized efforts throughout the fall semester that resulted in 3.8 percent of Central’s full-time student body registering to vote for the first time.
- University of Wisconsin Oshkosh: Along with ADP, Oshkosh has created a webpage to inform their students on local voting information.
HIGHLIGHTS FROM THE BLOG
- Come for the Pizza, Stay for the Politics: The Future of the Union
By Mary Sorenson, Doctoral Candidate and Instructor, University of Missouri, Columbia. She discusses about 800 students, faculty, and community members gathered in the Brown Ballroom at Illinois State University (ISU) to watch President Obama deliver his final State of the Union (SOTU) address. Find out more here.
- ADP/TDC Engage the Election 2016 Initiative Powered by icitizen
ADP is excited to announce a year-long non-partisan Engage the Election 2016 partnership with The Democracy Commitment (TDC) and icitizen, a leading civic engagement app. Events will include a set of webinars, a pre-conference institute at the 2016 CLDE meeting and a set of presidential debate-watch events in the fall. We hope to increase voter registration and turnout and to ensure that students on our campuses are informed and engaged voters. For more information: http://www.aascu.org/programs/ADP/EngageTheElection/
- Two Free Webinars on Civic Engagement — Register Now!
FREE NASPA Online Learning Community Opportunity, Feb. 16 – 3:00 p.m. EST – Weaving Together Career and Civic Commitments for Social Change. Also, NASPA Online Learning Community Opportunity, Feb. 18 – 1:00 p.m. EST – The Civic Engagement – Peacebuilding Nexus: Fostering Global Citizenship in the 21st Century
- 8th Annual Summer Institute of Civic Studies | Apply by March 18th
The eighth annual Summer Institute of Civic Studies will take place from June 13 to June 23, 2016 at Tufts University. It will be an intensive, two-week, interdisciplinary seminar bringing together faculty, advanced graduate students, and practitioners from many countries and diverse fields of study.
WHAT WE’RE READING
- Two New Reports from The Democracy Collaborative
- NCLCE’s updated Six Proven Practices on Effective Civic Learning guidebook
2016 DATES FOR YOUR CALENDAR
- February 8: Proposals for Civic Learning & Democratic Engagement Meeting are due.
- February 10: Pathways to Achieving Civic Engagement (PACE) Conference, High Point, NC
- February 12: Volunteer to be a program reviewer
- March 8: 8th Annual Summer Institute of Civic Studies
- March 20-23: National Campus Compact – 30th Anniversary Conference, Boston
- April 2: Nominations for three ADP National Awards Due (Burch, Plater, Saltmarsh)
- April 25: Early-Bird Registration for #CLDE16 Deadline
- May 10: Deadline for booking hotel room
- June 2-4: ADP/TDC/NASPA #CLDE16 Meeting, Indianapolis (Pre-conference institutes on June 1)
- August 1-6: ADP Stewardship of Public Lands Seminar, Yellowstone