Call for Nominations:
2015 Ernest A. Lynton Award for the Scholarship of Engagement for Early Career Faculty
2015 Lynton Award Application Instructions
Sponsored by the New England Resource Center for Higher Education (NERCHE) and the Center for Engaged Democracy (CED) at Merrimack College, the annual Ernest A. Lynton Award for the Scholarship of Engagement for Early Career Faculty recognizes a full-time faculty member who is pre-tenure at tenure-granting campuses or early career (i.e., within the first six years) at campuses with long-term contracts*, and who connects his or her teaching, research, and service to community engagement.
Community engagement describes the collaboration between faculty and their larger communities (local, regional/state, national, global) for the mutually beneficial exchange of knowledge and resources in a context of partnership and reciprocity. —Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching
The Lynton Award emphasizes community-engaged scholarly work across faculty roles. The scholarship of engagement (also known as outreach scholarship, public scholarship, scholarship for the common good, community-based scholarship, and community-engaged scholarship) represents an integrated view of faculty roles in which teaching, research/creative activity, and service overlap and are mutually reinforcing, is characterized by scholarly work tied to a faculty member’s expertise, is of benefit to the external community, is visible and shared with community stakeholders, and reflects the mission of the institution. In addition, NERCHE and CED conceptualize scholarly engagement in terms of social justice in a diverse democracy.
This year’s award will be presented at the 21st Annual Conference of the Coalition of Urban and Metropolitan Universities (CUMU), “A Love of Place: The Metropolitan Advantage,” which will be held from October 11-13, 2015, in Omaha, Nebraska. CUMU is a co-sponsor of the Award.
The 2015 award recipient will also be honored at the annual Lynton Colloquium on the Scholarship of Engagement, which will be held on Saturday, November 14, 2015, at the University of Massachusetts Boston. For information and updates about this event, please visit NERCHE’s website: http://www.nerche.org.
- Only full-time faculty from U.S. public and private not-for-profit colleges and universities are eligible for the Award.
- A faculty member who submits tenure materials for review prior to the Lynton Award application deadline is not eligible to apply for the Award.
Lynton Award Nominations:
- Nominations can be made by academic colleagues, administrators, students, and community partners. Each nominator should aim to present a comprehensive account of the nominee’s community-engaged teaching, research, and service. To this end, the application provides for the inclusion of the names and affiliations of additional nominators (see Section Three of this document). Further, endorsements from individuals familiar with one or more aspects of the nominee’s work can be included in the supporting documentation (see Section I.D.).
- In cases in which multiple individuals submit a single application for the nomination of a faculty member, one person should be designated as the primary nominator responsible for completing and submitting the application. Additional nominators can be noted in the appropriate section of the application.
- More than one faculty member from a single college or university may be nominated. Please complete separate applications for each nominee.
Nominators will submit nominations via an online application. To submit an application, please see the Application Instructions.
Application deadline: Friday, May 15, 2015, at 5 PM Eastern Daylight Time (EDT)
Frequently asked questions about the Lynton Award are answered here. If you have other questions, please contact the Lynton Award Coordinator, Elaine Ward, at Merrimack College’s School of Education and Social Policy by email at email@example.com (subject line: “Lynton Award Help”) or by phone at (978) 837-4676.
To learn more about the Lynton Award, click here.
* Award sponsors understand that there may be slight variations in contract systems specific to certain institutions; therefore, we encourage applicants who have questions about eligibility to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.