The ADP Steering Committee is please to announce the newest AASCU Excellence and Innovation Awards program award: the Civic Learning and Community Engagement Award. Full description, award deadline and application process are described below.
Purpose and Description of the Awards
The purpose of these awards is to recognize and honor AASCU institutions demonstrating excellence and innovation in their approach to achieving student success, regional and economic development, international education, teacher education, and leadership development and diversity.
The awards provide a means to collect and disseminate information about successful, replicable programs and practices and to support campus efforts to improve their institutions.
Award recipients will receive an engraved sculpture and recognition at the AASCU Annual Meeting. During the Annual Meeting, AASCU will present short videos about each of the award-winning programs. During the summer of 2017, each winning organization will be asked to work with AASCU and our audio-visual vendor on developing and delivering original and/or existing video content about the winning program. Recipients will also be recognized in the AASCU magazine, Public Purpose, and on the AASCU website. AASCU will also acknowledge award recipients in national media outlets and take other steps to ensure public recognition of award winners’ accomplishments.
AASCU member institutions (including system offices) in good financial standing that have demonstrated significant and intentional support for a program or programs in one or more of the award categories may apply. Support may be demonstrated as significant and intentional in the form of sustained effort over a period of time or as support and backing of a single major effort or initiative. Evidence that the program or initiative has achieved measurable outcomes is essential. Evidence of results may be quantitative or qualitative
In addition to these general criteria for the awards overall, each award category specifies additional criteria that award applications must address.
- There is evidence of executive level support and engagement in ensuring the success of the program or initiative;
- The program or initiative is connected to the institutional vision, mission and strategic agenda and supports institutional change;
- There is evidence that the program or initiative has led to significant institutional improvements or innovative programming;
- The program or initiative is grounded in research and incorporates best practices in the field.
Civic Learning and Community Engagement Award
The Civic Learning and Community Engagement Award honors institutions that demonstrate a strategic commitment to prioritizing, institutionalizing and advancing student civic learning and community engagement in regional, state and/or national communities. This award recognizes colleges/universities that are working to develop campus cultures that recognize and reward engagement that 1) fosters student learning and civic skill building; 2) rewards faculty teaching and scholarship for civic purposes and with engaging pedagogies and practices; and 3) partners meaningfully with community members and organizations to solve pressing problems and build more just and equitable communities.
Specific criteria for Civic Learning and Community Engagement Award:
- The institution must demonstrate that commitment to civic learning and community engagement are tied to institutional vision, mission and/or strategic agenda.
- The institution must demonstrate a combination of innovative programs and efforts along with sustained and measured progress toward institutionalizing civic learning and community engagement efforts.
- The institution must demonstrate that commitment to civic learning and engagement exists across the curriculum, student involvement, and campus processes.
- The institution must demonstrate that community engagement efforts are strategic, comprehensive and reciprocal.
AASCU Contact: Jen Domagal-Goldman, National Manager, American Democracy Project
APPLY ONLINE (Due April 21, 2017)
Award recipients (two per category) will be notified in mid to late June.