10 Things Students Should Know Before Attending #CLDE18
By the #CLDE18 Student Interns
In order to make the most of your #CLDE18 experience as a #CLDEStudents, check out these ten things to do before arriving in Anaheim.
10 Things Students Should Know Before Attending #CLDE18:
- Where do I register? Registration information is located on the AASCU website. Make sure to also register for the Student Pre-conference Workshop happening on Wednesday (it’s free!).
- Where do I stay? The designated conference hotel is the Hyatt Regency Orange County. Make sure to book your room as a CLDE attendee! Note: the group rate expires May 15 and rooms are filling fast, so book soon!
- How do I prepare? If there is a group of student, faculty, and staff coming from your institution, set up a meeting before traveling to #CLDE18. Have the agenda in front of you and create a plan on who is going to each session. You want to make sure that you are learning and sharing as much as possible to bring back to campus and your community, so try to and make sure that you are each going to different sessions!Create your profile in the conference mobile app once the login information is sent to you about a week before the conference – add a clear headshot photo and your social media accounts.
- What do I wear? Dress professionally, but wear something you will feel comfortable and confident in! You’ll be doing a lot of walking, so plan your footwear accordingly. Most people you will run into at #CLDE18 will be wearing business casual. Also, pack layers; sometimes conference hotels can fluctuate with air conditioners so you’ll want to be prepared.
- What do I bring to each session? Make sure to bring your notebook and a pen to your sessions so you can jot down everything you want to bring back to your institution. You will also be connecting with many people, so have your social media accounts ready to share. If you have business cards, be sure to bring them with you! It also might be a good idea to bring a water bottle and some snacks to have throughout the day.
- Where do I eat? For lunch, we recommend getting a quick bite to eat. You will want to make sure to make it back in time for your afternoon sessions! Some quick options are: Tusca and the OC Brewhouse if you would like to stay inside of the hotel. Del Taco, Subway, Pizza Hut, and WaBa Grill are also nearby. Additionally, there are some great restaurants in the surrounding area that are easy to walk to, like Citrus Grove Deli, Joe’s Crab Shack, La Casa Garcia, MasalaCraft Indian Cuisine, Outback Steakhouse, Red Robin Gourmet Burgers, Sunspot – An American Grill.
- Can I go to Disneyland? Yes! For all attendees of CLDE18, you can enjoy a discounted twilight entry to Disneyland or California Adventure Parks. We’ll send the discount link once you’re registered.
The Hyatt Regency (meeting hotel) offers shuttle services to and from the Disney Parks every 30 minutes at $6/person, with the last pick-up half an hour after the park closes.
- Where are some other places to visit? We recommend taking some time to explore Anaheim while you are not in sessions! There are so many things to do, like shopping, music & nightlife, and arts and culture.
- How do I connect with other students? We are so happy that you asked! First, make sure to follow @CLDEstudents on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram. On our pages, we will be updating everyone about important information throughout the conference. Additionally, connect with the student interns on social media! You can find Hannah, Collin, and Vera on Twitter. Take lots of pictures and post in our social media Don’t forget to use the conference hashtag – #CLDE18.
- What is the most important thing to remember? Take this opportunity to learn as much as you can and have fun!