What We’re Reading: New Journal of Higher Education Outreach and Engagement Issue
We recommend reading the latest issue of the Journal of Higher Education Outreach and Engagement (JHEOE), a peer-reviewed, interdisciplinary journal published by the University of Georgia. JHEOE is dedicated to advancing theory and practice related to outreach and engagement between higher education and communities.
In the latest issue, volume 21, No. 2, JHEOE authors address opposing perspectives on the purpose of engagement and tensions and contradictions in the relationships between communities and universities, among many other topics. Authors view community engagement from multiple conceptual perspectives, including community-based learning, collaborative relationships and faculty development and engagement as a strategy for justice. The reflective essays, research articles, projects, and book reviews in this issue provide new insight into challenges and explore problems to an even greater depth.
- The Concept and Context of the Engaged University in the Global South: Lessons from Latin America to Guide a Research Agenda (Susan Appe, Nadia Rubaii, Sebastian Líppez-De Castro, Stephen Capobianco)
- University-Community Partnership Models: Employing Organizational Management Theories of Paradox and Strategic Contradiction (Amanda Marie Bowers)
- A Prestudy Curricula-as-Research Model for Scholarship of Engagement: Combining Continuous Service with Discontinuous Learning (Sherrie Steiner)
- Undergraduate Learning through Engaged Scholarship and University-Community Partnerships (Kristen Tarantino)
- Faculty Development for Advancing Community Engagement in Higher Education: Current Trends and Future Directions (Marshall Welch, Star Plaxton-Moore)
Projects with Promise:
- Evolution of a Social Media-Driven Campus-Community Partnership: Collaborative Learning at The Knowledge Café (Susan A. Baim)
- Evaluating Reactions to Community Bridge Initiative Pilot Classes (Julie Koldewyn, Roslynn Brain, Kate Stephens)
- Academics Going Public: How to Write and Speak Beyond Academe (Kristina Killgrove)
- Engaging in Social Partnerships: Democratic Practices for Campus-Community Partnerships (Frank A. Fear)
- Educating for Civic-Mindedness: Nurturing Authentic Professional Identities Through Transformative Higher Education (Novella Zett Keith)