What We’re Watching: NIFI’s The Changing World of Work Live-Stream on 1/21
LIVE-STREAM: A National Conversation on The Changing World of Work: What Should We Ask of Higher Education?
On Wednesday, January 21, 2015, from 9 am-noon, the National Issues Forums Institute will stream the event live from the National Press Club right here on the all-new nifi.org.
Speakers and panelists include:
- Jamie Studley, Deputy Under Secretary of Education
- Nancy Cantor, Chancellor, Rutgers University-Newark
- David Mathews, President, Kettering Foundation
- Harry Boyte, Senior Scholar in Public Philosophy, Augsburg College
- William Muse, President, National Issues Forums Institute
- Other distinguished leaders from policy-making institutions, business, and civic and community groups
Organized by the National Issues Forums Institute, the American Commonwealth Partnership at Augsburg College, and the Kettering Foundation, this conversation responds to concerns voiced by thousands of citizens in more than 160 local forums in which participants deliberated on the future of higher education and our democratic society. Cosponsoring organizations include the American Association of State Colleges and Universities, the American Democracy Project, Campus Compact, Imagining America, and others.
What kind of economy do we want? Given momentous changes in the economy and the workplace, what should we expect of American higher education? Do our colleges and universities bear some responsibility for the challenges facing young graduates today? Do they owe it to society to train a new generation of entrepreneurs, innovators, job creators, and citizen leaders? Do we still look to them to be the engines of social progress and economic development they have been in the past? During this event, new resources will be released meant to spark local conversations on these questions.