What’s New with ADP [November 2013]
There’s a lot to be thankful for this month. Happy November from the American Democracy Project!
HIGHLIGHTS FROM THE BLOG:
- 2013 Global Challenges Institute: Educating Globally Competent Citizens
The Global Challenges Institute is this Friday and Saturday, November 8 – 9 in Washington, DC. Keynote speakers include the National Intelligence Council’s Mike Jeffress on Global Trends 2030 and Chris Mooney talking about Climate Change. We still have a few spaces open! Find more information about the Institute here.
- ADP National Student Advisory Council Executive Board Members have been Selected
The six undergraduate students are: Mandie Barnes, Weber State University (Utah); Kaytlynn A. Clemons, University of Central Missouri; Nathan Fell; Metropolitan State University (Minn.); Samantha Figueroa, Towson University (Md.); Mico Lucide, Richard Stockton College of New Jersey; and Andres F. Machado, Florida Gulf Coast University. Read more here.
- Sponsor Spotlight: The New York Times in Education
The New York Times in Education, an ADP partner and sponsor, has three exciting resources to share:
- An elegant new website: www.nytimes.com/edu. They welcome your contributions to the Classroom Ideas section!
- The New York Times in Education YouTube channel, where you can watch exclusive, 30-minute Webcasts with Times journalists addressing focus areas of the Leadership and First Year programs. Visit www.nytimes.com/edu/video.
- An inspiring, two-minute video that introduces NYT’s multimedia journalism: “The New York Times: Because The World Has a Lot To Teach.” Watch in at www.nytimes.com/edu/video.
- Strengthening Legal and Technological Frameworks to Grow Civic Participation and Public Engagement
A summary of this Brookings Institution event, as well as the audio recording, is available here. Download the free publication “Making Public Participation Legal” here.
- Civil Discourse Outside the Beltway
Georgia College’s 8th connsecutive year of weekly Times Talks have offered more than 650 people an opportunity to weigh in on current events. For a peak into what has become a civic institution at GC, take a look at these two video clips from GC360, a weekly student news broadcast:
- ADP in the News
Seven ADP campuses are featured in the October 2013 edition of ADP in the News, including: the University of Central Oklahoma; Rhode Island College; Jacksonville State University (Ala.); Fort Hays State University (Kan.); Middle Tennessee State University; Weber State University (Utah); The College at Brockport (SUNY); and the University of Nebraska at Kearney. Read more about programs and events at these seven campuses here.
- Kennesaw State University’s Global Challenges Panel Discussion – November 6, 2013 from 2 pm – 3:15 pm EDT
- 2013 Global Challenges Institute – Friday & Saturday, November 8-9, 2013
- eCitizenship Webinar #3 – December 5, 2013 @1:30 pm – 3 pm EDT
“Shared Values and Collective Impact” by Tonyehn N. Verkitus of GiveGab.com
This Webinar is focused on increasing the impact of engagement among college students.
- eCitizenship Webinar #4 – January 23, 2014 @1:30 pm – 3 pm EDT
“Project Management for Student Leadership”
- eCitizenship Webinar #5 – February 20, 2014 @1:30 pm – 3 pm EDT
“Sustaining Student Leadership on Civic Engagement Projects”
- ADP/TDC National Meeting – June 5-7, 2014
Forging Civic Pathways for Students Between Our Institutions
- Stewardship of Public Lands Faculty Seminar – August 4-9, 2014
Politics and the Yellowstone Ecosystem
Yellowstone National Park
Also, be sure to connect with ADP on our various social media channels, so you don’t miss anything this month!