Looking for an Internship?
Because The Democracy Commitment (TDC), a national higher education initiative focused on civic engagement and democratic learning in community colleges, is looking for a passionate and civically-minded intern to work part-time at the national office, located within the Washington, DC Metro Area. TDC is a program run out of the American Association of State Colleges and Universities.
This position requires a self-motivated and detail-oriented individual with excellent communication, writing, research and organizational skills. Candidates should be highly computer literate with working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, and social media outlets including but not limited Twitter, Facebook, Vine, Diigo, Vimeo, Youtube, and WordPress. This position requires a large proportion of time collaborating with the national coordinator and other national partners; intern must work successfully in a group setting. Must also be able to work independently and efficiently when necessary, completing tasks on time without supervision. Applicant must have an ability and desire to learn about community colleges in socio-political, policy/administrative, and academic spheres. Both undergraduate and graduate students are encouraged to apply. Intern reports directly to the national coordinator.
- Undergraduate or graduate student studying education and/or teaching, peace and conflict resolution studies, political science, organizational/community leadership, or related discipline.
- Experience and knowledge in:
- blog writing
- customer service
- public speaking and networking
- civic engagement, democratic learning, or service learning
- community college work or study (not required)
- Ability to travel (potentially) for conferences and other meetings.
The intern will be responsible for work in many areas of the initiative, including but not limited to:
- Blog posts and update social media
- Weekly newsletter
- Update website and related records
- Research all U.S. community colleges and current TDC member institutions
- Research civic engagement work and publications
- Aid in planning national meeting
- Aid in creating signature initiatives and toolkits for member institutions
- Aid in relationship building with national partner organizations
COMPENSATION AND HOURS
This is a paid internship: $10/hour for undergraduate students, and $12.50/hour for graduate students. Time frame and work hours are flexible based on the intern’s schedule. Preferred start date is September 3, 2013. The intern is expected to work between 15 and 20 hours per week, preferably through June 2014, with potential for extension pending end-of-semester performance reviews. No benefits are included.
This position is based in Washington, DC. No funds are available for relocation.
To apply please email a professional resume and short cover letter with subject line, “TDC internship” to: HR@aascu.org. Deadline is August 23rd, 2013, with tentative start date at late August to early September. AASCU is an EEO/AA.
Find the original posting, here.