1st National Voter Registration Day
Yesterday, September 25, 2012 was the first ever National Voter Registration Day (NVRD) in the U.S. ADP was proud to partner with NVRD and excited that 14 ADP campuses officially partnered with NVRD to register new voters! Many other campuses are sponsoring on-going voter registration efforts. Get out the vote! You’ll find more voting resources here: http://www.aascu.org/programs/ADP/resources/voting/
National Voter Registration Day | http://nationalvoterregistrationday.org/
In 2008, 6 million Americans didn’t vote because they missed a registration deadline or didn’t know how to register. In 2012, we want to make sure no one is left out.
On September 25, 2012, volunteers, celebrities, and organizations from all over the country will “hit the streets” for National Voter Registration Day. This single day of coordinated ﬁeld, technology and media efforts will create pervasive awareness of voter registration opportunities–allowing us to reach tens of thousands of voters or more who we could not reach otherwise.
What It Means
• Volunteers at transportation hubs, retail stores, sporting, and concerts.
• Technology to help eligible voters ﬁnd registration drives nearby.
• A network of grassroots, local organizations engaged in their own communities.
• Tens of thousands of voters registering to vote online and ofﬂine in a single day.
What It Will Accomplish
• Register Voters: A network of a thousand organizations operating on the ground and through social media will register tens of thousands of voters in the ﬁeld and tens of thousands more online–while also receiving pledges to vote from the already registered.
• Mobilize Volunteers: By engaging nonproﬁts not usually engaged in voter registration drives and amplifying existing drives through event-based recruitment and cultural outreach, National Voter Registration Day will bring thousands of additional volunteer voter registrars into the ﬁeld just when we need them most.
• Educate Eligible Voters: Millions of voters need to register and re-register every year. By utilizing new technology and leveraging cultural partners, we’ll educate more Americans than ever before, bringing new voters into the fold.
• Change the Conversation: National Voter Registration Day will be an opportunity to put our differences aside and celebrate the rights that unite us as Americans.
National Voter Registration Day has been made possible in part by a working group of organizations providing coordination and support. These organizations include, Asian Pacific American Labor Alliance Education Fund, Bus Federation Civic Fund, Fair Elections Legal Network, League of Women Voters, Nonprofit Vote, and Voto Latino.
ADP Campuses Participating in the 1st National Voter Registration Day (according to the NVRD website):
- California State University Dominguez Hills
- California State University Monterey Bay
- California State University Northridge
- California State University San Bernadino
- California State University, Chico
- California State University, Stanislaus
- Keene State College
- Kentucky State University
- Morehead State University
- Texas A&M University – Corpus Christi
- Towson University
- University of Nebraska Kearney
- University of Wisconsin Oshkosh
- Winona State University Student Senate