National Voter Registration Day: September 25, 2012
National Voter Registration Day — a non-partisan effort — is September 25, 2012. Will your campus be participating?
Monday, August 20th is the last day campuses and organizations will be able to sign up for National Voter Registration Day to host an event and still receive free materials. There are 2 easy things you can do to make sure you and your partners receive free posters, stickers and a beginners guide to organizing:
1.) Create an event on the National Voter Registration Day website to let new volunteers, and people who would like to register on the 25th, know how to find you. Click here or follow the link to: http://events.nationalvoterregistrationday.org/Account/LogIn
2.) Spread the word to any of your affiliates, friends, or family that want to join the effort to register thousands of people on September 25th.
In 2008, 6 million Americans didn’t vote because they missed a registration deadline or didn’t know how to register.1 In 2012, we want to make sure no one is left out.
On September 25, 2012, volunteers, celebrities, and organizations from all over the country will “hit the streets” for National Voter Registration Day. This single day of coordinated field, technology and media efforts will create pervasive awareness of voter registration opportunities–allowing us to reach tens of thousands of voters or more who we could not reach otherwise.
What It Means
• Celebrities registering voters and generating buzz at surprise locations.
• Volunteers at transportation hubs, retail stores, sporting, and concerts.
• Technology to help eligible voters find registration drives nearby.
• A network of grassroots, local organizations engaged in their own communities.
• Tens of thousands of voters registering to vote online and offline in a single day.
What It Will Accomplish
• Register Voters: A network of a thousand organizations operating on the ground and through social media will register tens of thousands of voters in the field and tens of thousands more online–while also receiving pledges to vote from the already registered.
• Mobilize Volunteers: By engaging nonprofits not usually engaged in voter registration drives and amplifying existing drives through event-based recruitment and cultural outreach, National Voter Registration Day will bring thousands of additional volunteer voter registrars into the field just when we need them most.
• Educate Eligible Voters: Millions of voters need to register and re-register every year. By utilizing new technology and leveraging cultural partners, we’ll educate more Americans than ever before, bringing new voters into the fold.
• Change the Conversation: National Voter Registration Day will be an opportunity to put our differences aside and celebrate the rights that unite us as Americans.
National Voter Registration Day
National Voter Registration Day is managed by a working group of six organizations (APALA Education Fund | Bus Federation Civic Fund | Fair Elections Legal Network League of Women Voters | Nonprofit VOTE | Voto Latino). The project is fiscally sponsored by the Oregon Progress Forum (tax ID: 93-1314754), a 501(c)(3) public charity). Contributions may be sent to:
Oregon Progress Forum
333 SE 2nd Ave
Portland, OR 97212